It’s an old debate that keeps coming up in the news. For some, it is necessary at all costs to promote electric cars to the detriment of cars with thermal engine for the good of our planet. Others reject this argument altogether and argue that electric vehicles are not as green as they seem. This includes looking at the entire life cycle and how the electricity consumed is produced.

Researchers from the University of Cambridge and Nijmegen tried to find out more about this. They carried out a full life cycle analysis of several models of electric cars. Data on greenhouse gas emissions generated during their use and those necessary for their production and waste treatment have been compiled.

The electric car is greener in 95% of cases

Their conclusion is final. Electric vehicles emit far less CO2 than petrol cars. Florian Knobloch, one of the authors of this study, does not go there by four paths: " In other words, the idea that electric vehicles could increase emissions is essentially a myth."

In detail, they note that the electric car is greener in 95% of the cases. The remaining 5% corresponds to certain countries such as Poland where energy production is still largely dependent on coal. Over all of their journeys, electric models emit 70% less carbon than a petrol car in countries like France and Sweden which benefit from the contribution of nuclear power for the first and from renewable energies for the second.

Scientists therefore call on decision-makers to act quickly to promote switching to electric in order to save a huge amount of CO2 emissions into the atmosphere. They also advocate an enhanced development of renewable energies around the world and an improvement in the design and operation of electric vehicles.