The firm at the apple refuses (again) to unlock two iPhone used as part of a “terrorist act“, as described by the Department of Justice of the United States on Monday, January 13, which was perpetrated against the military base of Pensacola in Florida on December 6.
“A terrorist act motivated by jihadist ideology.“This is how Bill Barr described on Monday the shooting carried out by a member of the Saudi Air Force on the naval air base of Pensacola, Florida, which had killed three people (not counting the suspect, neutralized) last December 6.
In his speech, the Attorney General of the United States did not fail to regret the lack of “significant helpApple in the investigation. The object of contention: two iPhones used by the shooter, which the computer giant refuses to unlock.
So is it the President of the United States himself who in turn rebelled, this Tuesday, January 15, of the behavior of the firm at the apple – on Twitter, of course:
“We are constantly helping Apple with TRADE and so many other things, and yet they refuse to unlock phones used by killers, drug dealers and other violent criminals. They are going to have to step up and help our great country, NOW! LET’S MAKE AMERICA GREAT. “
In the face of the pressure, Apple does not seem ready to give in. First because, as the company was quick to point out in a press release sent in the wake of Bill Barr’s statement, it has already provided a whole lot of information concerning the iPhone in question to the FBI. Including access to the shooter’s iCloud account and transaction data from various other accounts, depending on the New York Times. “Our responses to their many requests since the attack have been timely, comprehensive and are still ongoing.“, she said in her press release from AFP.
Like a feeling of déjà vu
Then there is the issue of security. While the Department of Justice denies needing access to said iPhone in order to analyze messages from applications such as Signal or WhatsApp, and thus determine whether the shooter had acted alone or not, Apple says it does not can (or want?) to create a “backdoor“. This is a backdoor to retrieve program data,”just for the good guys“, as the news agency reports.”Backdoors can be exploited by those who threaten our national security and the security of our users’ data“, underlines the firm with the apple, before estimating in its press release:”Americans don’t have to choose between weaker encryption and investigating resolution.“
Remember that this showdown between Apple and the US government is not a first. In 2015, the Silicon Valley giant had already refused to grant the FBI access to the encrypted content of an iPhone belonging to one of the perpetrators of an attack that killed 14 people in San Bernardino, California. It was ultimately the US government that had given in, forced to call on a private company to bypass the encryption of the iPhone in question. So, will he still have to do it?
If so, this time, “it will be harder“remarked to AFP James Lewis, cybersecurity expert from the Center for Strategic and International Studies. Yes, it is that since San Bernardino, as he specifies,”Apple had to repair the flaw that had worked in this case“…
Sources: AFP, New York Times